Sunday, April 30, 2006

Truthiness Hits The White House. Hard.

There are few people that I admire. I have people who I respect for their beliefs or actions, or just like for their talents, but complete and total admiration from me is rare. Here's a short list:

1. Joan of Arc
2. Calamity Jane
3. Edward R. Murrow
4. New addition: Stephen Colbert

On CSPAN they aired the White House Correspondents Dinner. Very few people watch it; just boring speeches, mild attempts at humor, politicians patting each other on the back, polite smiles and ends with halfhearted stand-up by a selected comedian. Tonight was different.

I don't know who booked Stephen. Either the guy had never even seen The Colbert Report, or thought it wasn't a parody, or possibly booked him for this specific purpose. Regardless, the man is going to be out of a job, and Colbert is going to need a food-taster from now on.

I'll be frank--Colbert (who was in character from his show) bombed. Hard. Not because he wasn't funny, mind you. True, his actual show is funnier, but I know he must've been nervous. I would be too if I had utterly slammed the entire Bush administration and the press for the horrible job it's been doing for the past five years.

It was incredibly awkward (yet satisfying) to watch none of the audience laughing as Colbert nailed the room full of self-important politicians and sycophantic press. And Colbert didn't falter, he kept on going to the bitter end. He looked the President right in the eye and showed him no mercy. For once, Bush couldn't just sit in the Oval Office and hide from the news and only hear what he wanted to hear. He had to sit there and take all the crap that many Americans are furious about and want to scream at him but will never get the chance.

I don't know if this will have any impact on the administration or the nation's opinion of it (who watches CSPAN really?), but I hope it does; Internet word-of-mouth does travel fast. Find the clip and watch it. For me, my little Colbert Crush has changed into true admiration.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

^_^

I love Colbert! It was amazing to see what he did -- delivering a forceful criticism to the most powerful man on the planet, while standing right in front of him.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Sorceress said...

Colbert is on tonight's 60 Minutes if anyone is interested.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home